15 May 2010

Ice Cream Cupcakes

I don't like cake. I have only recently started liking cupcakes because of how cute they can be. So, trying to pick out a cake for the wedding has not really been something I had been looking forward to.

Last week I had our first cake tasting. Mr. had left school early because he was sick so I had to do it solo. While the woman was very nice (although not very helpful) I was completely uninspired and overwhelmed. Not to mention, I really didn't feel comfortable spending at least $500 on something I wouldn't love. I knew it would be pretty, but spending that much money on something I'm not even sure everyone would like was not something we wanted to do.

Chocolate Buttercream Cake

{ photo by Dustin Todd via Style Me Pretty }

I love that messy buttercream look! Just don't like what's underneath it...

So, I asked Mr., "Would it be crazy to have an ice cream cake for our wedding cake? Like, we'd do the actual cake cutting with a regular cake so we wouldn't worry about it melting, but then WHOOSH...right after that, out comes ice cream cake for everyone?"

He thought it was a good idea so I called Dairy Queen to get pricing on just regular sheet cakes. So fantastically affordable! I asked a few more people what they thought about the idea and was met mostly with "Would be great for a July wedding!" and "It's your wedding, you should do what you want!"...yes, I know that, but we still want everyone to enjoy themselves and not think we're totally weird. The best response though? "You know, Maggie Moo's makes really cute ice cream cupcakes"...BINGO! I promptly checked out their website.

Ice Cream Cupcake Bite Ice Cream Cupcake chocolate cherry

Ice Cream Cupcake chocolate heavenIce Cream Cupcake cool swirl

Ice Cream Cupcake sprinklesunflower

{ images via Maggie Moo's }

I think we've found our solution. As long as our venue will allow us to do them, I think that's what we're goin' with! The best part is that they can be customized!

What do you think about having ice cream cake or ice cream cupcakes instead of a traditional cake or cupcakes for a summer wedding?

1 comment:

  1. Ha, we totally floated the idea of an ice cream cake for the groom's cake but nixed it on logistical grounds. Everyone loves ice cream cake! Especially in the summertime. Totally awesome that you're finding a way to do it!!

    ReplyDelete